Advice Needed on Migration

For the time being I’m looking to go a custom route and completely divest from Toolset. Not looking at MetaBox or Pods or any alternatives, but I would like to start using Advanced Custom Fields for the fields.

My plan is to write custom plugins for registering post types.

Can these custom post types exist side by side with Toolset’s CPT’s at the same time?

If so, after setting them up what would be the cheapest and relatively easiest way to get the Toolset Custom Field data transferred over to ACF and the new custom post types?

If having them both exist at the same time in the same website is a problem I can always delete everything and then transfer that data in from a copy website, but I’m still lost as to how this can be done going from Toolset’s Custom Fields to ACF.

I’ll gladly use an existing plugin for this, but I’d like to keep costs down.

Any advice on this or my overall plan for the exit is most welcome. Thank you for setting this place up.

PS: Just because I’m asking about migration doesn’t mean I’m going to abandon this group once I’m off Toolset. I very much want to see something cool come out of this and would like to help where I can.

Yes, absolutely- as long they have distinct slugs!

If so, after setting them up what would be the cheapest and relatively easiest way to get the Toolset Custom Field data transferred over to ACF and the new custom post types?

An Export > Import using the native WordPress importer features should do for post types (but it would change post type name since you mention you’d want both types existing at the same time in the same install. If you want to keep same names, you’d have to first create a “backup install” and import from there.

I’m not aware of any import of custom fields from Toolset to acf and likely (unless specifically developed) it’s not possible out of the box for complex fields but it could be possible for simple fields using WP All Export - Import. It’s not a free plugin thou.

Another option could be to import the actual postmeta Table - but again this would only work for „simple“ fields.

You also might find this one interesting Migrating from Toolset Types to Advanced Custom Fields | Tandem as it goes over the process with a mostly manual (and thus free) workflow.